Friday, May 30, 2008

Toilet Signs

What do you think about while in the bathroom? I've always loved the short story that Paul Jennings wrote called "The Velvet Throne" which is part of the short story collection Unmentionable , something of an amazing kid's book. In the story, all the little messages that people scrawl on a particular public bathroom wall comes true. Yes, sounds a little weird, but so is most of Jenning's fiction, you wouldn't believe it till you read it.

So, this is what I saw in a bathroom today. I was out having a coffee in Sai Kung with my mum. They do say that caffeine is a diuretic.



The person who did the translation obviously thought he was ever so clever, using "easy come, easy go" as a basis for reminding people to flush. *sigh* The wierd language fragments people pick up and reuse without actually understanding it's meaning. I just don't know how the hell to interpret this. Of course it's easy to go when you need to hurry to go to the bathroom, due to the call of nature being particularly shrill and urgent. But WHAT does it have to do with FLUSHING? Those poor gweilos are going to be so, so confused. I think most of them are going to have strains of the Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen running through their head when they're doing their number 2.


This is the other thing that was stuck on the cubicle wall. Juueeest sayin', those people at the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department in Hong Kong are a little creepy. I would not want a toilet that had arms, that had a face that could stare at my butt as I did my beeezzness. I would freak out.

No comments: